Wednesday, November 5, 2008

ICELAND (Tundra Environment)

Hey Everyone,
I just arrived in Iceland and I'm loads excited as I'm spending my time here with one of my closest friends, Sophie! I can't wait till i see her, it's been forever. We met up straight away at the airport, when we had got our luggage and stuff, we caught a taxi to our hotel we were staying at which was called "Hotel Reykjavik". It was a really nice hotel to stay at. When we arrived at the hotel we checked in, put our bags in our rooms and wen't straight to the resteraunt for lunch. i'm not sure bout Sophie but I was starving. Once i had filled by belly up, i went up into my suite and relaxed, i layed back and watched some television. I was extremly tired so i had a little snooze. When i woke up, i was hungry again so i went for dinner. After tea, i went to bed as i had an early start in the morning. I woke up early as i had a tour that started at 8.30 in the morning.
The tour was around North Central Iceland. I learnt alot on this tour as we had a speaker who continuesly told us about the place, and told us about everything we saw.
Here is some of what i learnt:
- Iceland was founded more than 1,000 years ago during the Viking age of exploration and settled by a mixed Norse and Celtic population.
- North central Iceland consists of three peninsulas protruding into the Arctic Ocean.
- The landscape is a patchwork of mountains, glaciers, lakes, rivers, marsh-land and lava deserts.
- North Central Iceland is home to some of Iceland's finest agricultural land it is also an important region for fishing and fish- processing.
i learnt much more, but as im struggling with time, i cannot fit it all in on this post. i may share some more information with you all later,
See ya later, x



No comments: